Subject: Re: [Leica] Official soft release
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:18:42 -0800

>SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
> I'm certain that there is a lot of crap on the site and at crazy prices -
> have you ever attended a Christie's classic car auction? all it takes is two
> bidders who really want a rare item to drive the price of a collector Ferrari

True, there is a lot of junk on ebay and uninformed people get in a
bidding frenzy and pay far more than an item is worth. But if you know
what you are looking for you can get some real deals. I picked up a IIIc
with an Elmar 50/3.5, case and manual that was basically mint, except
for a tear in the case. I paid $275. The Elmar alone, which is spotless,
is worth more than that. On another occasion I picked up a full set of
Harrison&Harrison double fog filters in 138mm size for $100. Here in
Hollywood, at Birns and Sawyer, that same set would run about +$1200.
It's a good place to pick up obscure items, but over the
years I have noticed that there are fewer bargains as buyers and sellers
have become more sophisticated.

feli