Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty survey.
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:07:38 -0500

> He just
> doesn't see any individual consumer can win, without
> legal representation in "class action" lawsuits.

Hi Henry,

Well, I know I CAN win.  In MA, I can sue any company in the US here
locally.  No, I do NOT have to go to that state to sue them.  We have a long
arm statute that is invoked via what is called a "93A" demand letter.  When
I go to court, and it will typically be small claims court, and they do not
show up...I will automatically win.  They can only appeal on a matter of law
(ie, I never bought anything from them in the first place, and I was making
the suit up), not because they didn't show up.  If they fail to pay, then
they are in contempt of court, and prohibited from doing business in MA
until they do pay.

I would suspect other states have similar statutes.

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] OT: long arm of the law (was: Warranty survey))