Subject: Re: [Leica] Holy Doodle: grey market equipment
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 19:39:17 -0700

Hi Austin,

I am in no way trying to refer to Nikon or Mamiya only Leica. The
International Warranty (card) is still valid on grey equipment but only at
Leica AG. I have worked at the retail end of distributed products and I can
assure you that the companies watch warranty claims very very carefully. of
course with Leicas it is the distributor that has to be watched. As to
unauthorised distributors buying Leica gear, one only has to look at Joseph
Yao (sp?). While I have not myself participated in warranty fraud, I have
seen companies lose dealer/distributor status due to warranty fraud. The
business side of selling cameras is standard business model and is handled
the same regardless of what the product is.

John Collier