Subject: RE: [Leica] Holy Doodle: grey market equipment
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:36:14 -0500

> There seems to be a big misunderstanding about what grey
> equipment is. Here
> is what it is not:

<snip>

I disagree with your definition of grey market.  It certainly CAN be bought
from an authorized dealer outside the country.  Look at what Mamiya and
Nikon tried to do years ago...anything NOT bought through a US channel WAS
considered "grey market".

I also have heard from people on this list that if the item does not have a
US warranty, they will not service it in any hurry.

> The grey market equipment problem is a creation of Leica. They will, under
> certain conditions, sell to unauthorised distributors.

Can you substantiate this?  What happens to the warranty card?

> Equipment must have
> provenience so that warranty fraud can be controlled.

Like what fraud?  All this would take is Leica keeping a record of ALL their
sales and that just isn't that hard to do.  Anyone selling two thousand
dollar cameras should be smart enough to keep computerized records, or at
least records.

> Warranty
> fraud is a real problem so the controls are a good idea.

That's BS (that they need "controls" in the first place).  YOU said they
create the problem themselves.  Again, I ask, how do I KNOW a dealer is
selling me a "Leica Authorized" camera.  I believe it is safe to assume
EVERY ONE SOLD is "Leica Authorized", and if it has a warranty card (or
their web site has a description of a warranty etc.), Leica is bound to the
terms of that warranty, provenance or not.

MY warranty card clearly states (and I quote):

"return...to the Leica Camera or a Leica Camera Agency"....and in the back
of the Warranty pamphlet, they list MANY "Leica Service worldwide"
names/addresses etc.  One of them IS "Leica Camera Inc., Northvale, New
Jersey", and I DAMN well expect them to honor my warranty.

Austin