Subject: [Leica] Arne's PAW #9 (+ previous PAWs) for 2002
From: Arne Helme <Arne.Helme@stelvio.nl>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 16:50:12 +0100

Hi all,

I just added PAW #9 to my web site.  Due to a tight schedule at work I
haven't posted any info about PAWs for some time.  A short description
of my previous PAWs can be found further down in this email.  Comments
are as always appreciated.

All photos are made with the 2.0/28mm ASPH.  This lens has become my
standard lens.  I really like the perspective of the 28mm.  It enables
me to make exactly the kind of low light wide angle photos that fits
with my style of photography.  I use the Ilford XP2 Super for most of
my b/w work.  BTW, all photos are full frame.

This weekend my wife Cindy and I went to a concert in Gent, Belgium.
Gent is an old city with beautiful cityscapes.

PAW #9 is a scene from the old Gravensteen castle in the centrum of
Gent.  I liked the light is the old castle hall but felt that I needed to add
something in order to make a nice composition.  I decided to wait until
Cindy left the hall though the doorway.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw09.html

PAW #9 Alternate #1 is made in the 'torture chamber' exhibition area
of the castle.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw09alt1.html

PAW #9 Alternate #2 is a close up photo of an old armor.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw09alt2.html

PAW #9 Alternate #3 and #4 are two portraits of Cindy made with the
2.0/28mm.  These are not spectacular shots in any way but they give
you an impression of what can be done with the 28mm close up in strong
sunlight when using the XP2 Super.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw09alt3.html
http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw09alt4.html

PAW #9 Alternate #5 and #6 were made during the concert.  Alternate #5
is a photo of the German band And One, and Alternate #6 of Geir, the
synth player in Apoptygma Berzerk.  Music style: gothic, EBM,
industrial.  Crowd dressed in black :-)!  The 28mm was on the wide
side, but I did not have anything else at hand.  I used the SF20 flash
unit.  For many of the shots I prefocused, lifted the camera way over
my head, guesstimated the composition, and made the shots.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw09alt5.html
http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw09alt6.html

PAW #8 is a landscape photo I made last weekend when hiking from
Sittard to Maastricht along the Pieter Pad route in the southern region
of the Netherlands.  We had some "luck" with the weather: rain, storm,
snow, lightening, sun --- all the ingredients to make dramatic
landscape photos, but not so very pleasant to go hiking in.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw08.html

PAW #8 Alternate photo is a portrait of my colleague Rene.  It was
made during a hail storm.  We could not find much shelter.  I wish I
had made a second shot with a longer shutter speed to emphasize storm
by adding some movement.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw08alt1.html

PAW #7 was made while I visited North-Norway in mid february.  Once
year in the winter I go up there to visit old friends.  We usually go
to a cottage somewhere in the wilderness.  The photo + alternate #1
were made during dinner preparation.  We did not have the proper tools
at hand to prepare the meat so an alternative approach was chosen.
(Some single malt whisky was also involved before the choice of tools
was made...)

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw07.html
http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw07alt1.html

PAW #7 Alternate 2 is a portrait of my father.  The posture is really
typical of him.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw07alt2.html

PAW #6 was made during the Benelux LUG meeting in Brussels early in
february.  Erwin signs his book while Pascal and others are having a
conversation.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw06.html

The main PAW index can be found at:

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/

Enjoy,

- -- Arne
Arne Helme
Email: Arne.Helme at stelvio.nl (^" at "^@)
Work: +31-33-4697340, Fax: +31-33-4697341, GSM: +31-620135827
M&I/Stelvio bv, Zonnehof 41, 3811 ND Amersfoort, the Netherlands

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Arne's PAW #9 (+ previous PAWs) for 2002)