Subject: [Leica] now off list: Lighthouse.
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 15:17:06 +0100

Hello Mark,

thank you for taking the time to reply.

Congratulation to your sale. Have you sold other pictures too? I have
only sold two pictures since I took up b+w photography a couple of
years ago after a 30-year break. And I did not really sell them, they
were sold by the person I had photographed, she is an author and
needed photos for the book jacket and she sold them for me to the
publisher.

How do you go about selling pictures? Did you notice the coffee house
already had some pictures and you offered an additional one, or do
you exhibit?

Now back to the original subject. I thought that if people put their
pictures on the net, then they would be willing to discuss them. I go
to exhibitions, and I often see pictures by famous photographers that
I wonder why the got exhibited. If it opening night and the
photographer is there, and if he/she has the time and the inclination
to answer questions, I would ask him/her why he/she finds that
picture good. I have never got an unfriendly answer. Perhaps these
questions are better suited for face to face discussions.

I only take pictures for my own pleasure. Still I like to hear what
other people think of them. Except I don't like when people say: 'Oh
that's nice.' I much prefer harsh criticism, as long as it is
constructive.

I am sorry that you found a certain inference in my question. I
really just wanted to know why you wanted to share the picture with
us. The answer: 'I just sold it for $300' is a good answer.

Best regards,
Chris