Subject: Re: [Leica] why i can't be a professional photographer
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 10:13:01 -03-30

At 07:37 PM 3/2/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Don R.
>
> > because i would strangle my customers--same reason i couldn't be a
> > waiter.

AMEN!!   ...Lord knows I've been tempted.

...although...

one of the greatest pleasures of being a pro and knowing that you have
"arrived" is being able to tell certain clients to "bugger off" and not
have your business suffer.

The problem is , of course, (and I don't say this to be elitist) is that
the proliferation of  "consumer cameras" and basic photography becoming so
simple and "common".  It is great that everyone has access to basic
photography but it also means that the value of quality (not necessarily
professional) is diminished by a large population that think "photography"
can be done anyone with a Phd camera ("push here dummy") and there is no
more to it than that.

It comes from peoples beliefs that technology is a replacement for talent
or other human deficit.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
www.greglocke.com
PictureDesk International ....NEWS PICTURES ONLINE!
www.pdiphotos.com

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] why i can't be a professional photographer)