Subject: Re: [Leica] Intro + pics
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:05:56 -0800

on 2/28/02 9:27 PM, Will at wlarsen@ocsnet.net wrote:

> Grant Heffernan writes:
>
> | Funny you should put it that way. For me, the old, run
> down places, and the
> | well kept old places for that matter, are what I love
> about the east coast.
> | I lived in CA for 8 months, and it all seemed to sterile,
> like there was no
> | history to the place. >snipped<
>
> You have stated my point most succinctly.  These places are
> disappearing...many without any record that they ever
> existed.  You are doing a great service in recording what
> might not be standing tomorrow.
>
> As to CA, well, I would really like to see a photographic
> record of all of the building that perished in the 1906
> earthquake.  But if you look there are still-standing
> buildings from the earliest settlement.

California may not have the abundance of old buildings but by looking a
little deeper it's still possible to find a rich history.

Last summer I moved into a house that was originally built in 1905.  My
neighbor on the south is 84 years old; his mother grew up in what is now my
house; he installed the plumbing and electrical wiring in this house.  My
neighbor across the street grew up in the house he lives in, and is now
tending the family orchard for his 100-year-old mother.  My neighbor to the
north is a relative newcomer to the area.  He's only lived here since 1950.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from "Grant Heffernan" <streetphoto1975@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Intro + pics)