Subject: Re: [Leica] Pondering an R8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 06:24:33 -0800

Simon Stevens wrote:
>>To me the R8 is an unattractive tank -  but one with a nice viewfinder.<<

Hi Simon and others who've made similar comments about the "look-feel "of
the R8.

If I may be so rude as to ask, "do you folks buy a camera for the beauty of
it or do you buy a camera for it's functionality?"  Is it more important for
the camera to look pretty or is it more important to have it's controls
right at your finger tips, solid, feel like a dream in your hands 6 hours or
longer and your hands just as comfortable as they were when you started to
shoot?

Considering the number of negative comments "ugly, big, tank, etc etc." I'm
always amazed that I can't find these negativism's each time I pick mine up
to shoot an assignment.

Considering I've worked most models hard with work over the years, usually
three bodies at a time with motors, I find the R8 the best of the breed for
everything.

Yep had a glitch or two since '96 with each rectified quickly by Leica
Service.

But on an overall basis since the Leicaflex appeared in the world I'd take
R8's over all of them.  But then some folks don't like Black & White, single
malt scotch and sushi either. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant