Subject: [Leica] Leica Lenses In Other Mounts---was: Pondering an R8
From: "Paul C. Brodek" <pcb@skyweb.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:28:32 -0500

According to Jem Kime's '00 Photokina LUG meeting report (10/2/00),
Tom A. asked Leica about making lenses in other mounts.  Leica's
response was:

"Yes, we have considered selling our lenses for other cameras, mounted
for Nikon, Canon etc. but other manufacturers have categorically said
'No'."

Interesting that NiCanoltax don't have a problem with Tamron, Tokina,
Cosina, Sigma and who knows else, but evidently do have a problem with
Leica.  I don't know how all the lensmount intellectual property
issues work----what's patented, what's not, what needs to be licensed,
etc, or whether the aftermarket companies even need permission or
cooperation.

Leica could be perceived as a bigger threat than the aftermarket guys,
who (IMHO) offer mostly lower-cost, less-deluxe alternatives.  Even if
aftermarket sales siphon off more potential lens sales than Leica
glass would, image-wise it might hurt more if, for example, Canon
users passed over L-series offerings for Leica lenses.

There's also the question of whether Leica could produce autofocus
lenses, and/or whether high-end Nicanoltax users would buy a
Nicanoltax-mount Leica lens if it was manual focus.

Regards,

PB

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:28:46 -0500, in response to this post:

"B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Don't know about making a fortune...But I have long wondered why they don't
>do just that...I would imagine that the demand for the 80 1.4, 100 and 60
>macros, if for no other lenses, would be quite strong.
>
>B. D.

Paul C. Brodek
Hillsdale, N.J. U.S.A.
E-mail: pcb@skyweb.net