Subject: Re: [Leica] Real M7 hands on touchy-feely stuff
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:35:57 -0800

Austin wrote:

>>> Don, I really don't believe you can compensate for 1/80th of a second
> consciously.  <<<<<<

And
>>> That's where I disagree...I really don't believe anyone will get
different
> images because of a 1/80th of a second difference in shutter lag.<<<

Hi Austin,

First let me say I agree with you.

This shutter lag has been questioned in the past and it's a subject that
I've never encountered..... yes I probably have on occasion, but never in a
"thinking about it and the missed picture that may have happened because of
it."

But to ever make me a believer I'd have to be shown how I missed the key
moment of Ben Johnson or any number of action pictures of athletes in
action.

I believe this is another one of those techie things that creates
misunderstanding to many photographers, possibly the amateur crowd more than
pros.

I look at it as something in the camera that if you don't know about it you
are not going to think about it, therefore who cares.

And I agree with you, who, when shooting high-end action runs this line
through their mind, "gee I know there's a 25 ms delay in the shutter release
therefore I should start to shoot 1/80 of a second before he hits the finish
line!"

Hell by the time you're thinking about that the race is over and the next in
the blocks! This is a bunch of hogwash stuff that if people didn't know
anything about it, it wouldn't make any difference to every day picture
taking, certainly when photographing ones children.

Yep it probably makes a difference if one is doing super technical
photography but in the general scheme of every day life it's a bunch of
twaddle left in the techie offices.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant