Subject: [Leica] on camera flash
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:08:12 -0500

Answering the question of who uses Leica on camera much:

Until last year, I used on-camera flash extensively to photograph
corporate events and weddings and such.  It's not artistic work, but it
brought a little joy and it paid the bills.

Mostly these events were in large hotel ballrooms which are very dim.
They also had fast moving subjects -people having fun while wearing dark
clothing. Available light would either be impossible, or have had a
failure rate that the client would have found unacceptable.

I like a flash with power for those kind of situations, so I used a
Quantum T2, with a Turbo battery that would last all evening. The flash
let me light the whole hall if necessary, but also go bare bulb quite
often. If you have to go on-camera, that's the way to go, imho. The
flash is bulky, but the bulk of the setup was slightly mitigated by the
smaller siize of the M versus the AF SLRs most of my competitors
schlepped.

Simon Stevens