Subject: [Leica] on camera flash
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:31:17 -0800

When I use flash:
took M to shoot candids at a Klezmer concert.  Audience got up and
started dancing. The exposure was f/2 @ 1/30 on ISO 800 rated at 640.
The SF20 let me use a smaller f/stop so that I had more depth of focus;
still got plenty of ambient lighting so it didn't look "flashy."  I was
still panning as they did the hora, but at f/2 I would not have gotten
anything in focus.

obligatory shot at dark restaurant by waiter.  Ambient exposure f/2 at
1/30.  Even if you focus for him/her, they never get you in focus.
Stick on SF20, set to 5.6; even 2.8; gives higher chance of success.

overhead flourescent lights.  This is hard to white balance.  With SF20
the main area can be color balanced.

New Year's eve.  Ambient exposure probably around f/1 @ 1/15 and I
don't have a Noctilux.  People too smashed to care about flash anyway.

Yes, the R8 would have been better in each case, but it is much
heavier.

Bob Rose