Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica est yr loss 1.5 - 2 million euro (l.y. +.9)
From: "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:46:34 -0500

Hi Christer:  I too noted the report from Leica concerning their recent
financial difficulties.  One has the sense that there is a desperate need
for the M7 to succeed.  There will, of course, always be film and those of
us who cherish that traditional medium.  However, digital sales are
obviously becoming a major factor, and are eating more and more into Leica's
traditional markets.  I wonder if the M7 is an initial effort, built on the
great M6 platform, to somehow adapt the M series to digital.  Having no
engineering background I cannot offer any reasonable advice on how the
transition might occur. Moreover, perhaps the R series is the more logical
digital vehicle. Nevertheless, there has to be a means to somehow allow
Leica photographers, with their huge investment in Leica lenses, to utilize
their lenses on any new digital venture.  For Leica to continue to innovate
and maintain their obviously niche market some "higher end" digital product
would appear to be very necessary.  I do not expect their "lower end"
digital cameras to compete that well with the myriad other brands available,
especially since such marques have a great advantage in marketing.

Elliot