Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: M6 viewfinder glare
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:49:16 -0700

There is also this solution...

- ----------
From: "Bob Parsons" <bobp@ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:57:59 -0000
Subject: Re: [Leica] shade

For a number of months I've used 3M "Light Control Film"  over the frame
line illumination window to reduce rangefinder flare. If the Konnermann
shade is a similar material, then the answer is, it does help. It's
disadvantage is the brightness of the frame lines is reduced.

It's quite expensive but Edmund Optics sell a 2 x 3 inch sample strip for
$9.60

http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1976

I ordered on the US site and the UK based York office telephoned me to
confirm the order.

I tried the 0, 18 and 30 degree materials with different orientations on the
camera's illumination window. I found the 0 deg film with an acceptance
angle of 60 deg.to work the best. Part number NT52-390.

You need to orientate the film over the window so that the louvres are
vertical allowing a +/- 30 deg. horizontal acceptance angle. I left the
protective covering films on the strip until after I  had cut several
rectangles out with scissors. You can also cut it to size by scribing  and
bending the film to snap it. I attached the light control film to the camera
using two very narrow strips of double sided adhesive
tape down each side of the window.

3M light control film is a fairly new material (developed for security
screens and LCD displays etc.) I'm curious to know if Leica have ever
considered using this material inside the viewfinder. There also several
types of lens films for LCD displays manufactured by 3M which look as if
they might be a useful tool in optical design.