Subject: RE: [Leica] R and M 6 Prices
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:40:14 -0000

Feliciano di Giorgio writes:

"Actualy I hope they don't kill the M6. The M5 disaster comes to mind.
I think it would be good for Leica to have the M6 as the $1500 entry
level model."

I think we'll know the answer when the press release embargo expires on
Monday morning. If the M7 electronic shutter works at all speeds without a
battery (as the one in Nikon's FM3A does), then the M6TTL will probably die
in time. If - on the other hand - the M7 shutter only works mechanically at
one or two speeds without a battery, then the M6TTL will probably live on.

What the M6TTL price does in either situation is anyone's guess. I get the
strong impression from talking to Leica folk that they're actually pretty
content to leave the entry level market to CV. Leica doesn't have the
manufacturing capacity to compete in that area, and the whole focus of the
company *and* its parent is on prestige 'aspirational' (their word, not
mine) brands, not volume.

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (RE: [Leica] R and M 6 Prices)