Subject: [Leica] Re: The M7d
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:49:46 -0800

At 10:12 AM 2/20/2002 -0500, Magnessbill@aol.com wrote:

>And that is the reason for the shutter , to protect the CCD when a lens is
>removed. IMHO, the reason for non-interchangable lenses, they don't put a
>shutter in at all- saves money.
>Bill

Correct. And the reason all digital cameras, except those built on a big
SLR chassis, use zoom lenses is because these zooms are designed for
digital and have the lower resolution/MTF designed in. In digital, a
mediocre zoom is every bit as good (actually better) than a prime Leica
lens. So with the zoom and nothing else interchangeable, the dust problem
doesn't exist. This week I'm going to look inside the big Nikon & Canon SLR
digital cameras and personally see what they have in between the rear of
the lens and the sensor. I know there is a frequency cutoff filter to dumb
down the lens, but I'll bet they have a sealed barrier to keep dust off of
the CCD. And if it were far enough away from the CCD, any dust on it would
not be in focus. Like a dusty rear lens element.

Digital sensors are electronic. Trillions times trillions of electrons
passing through it all of the time. This creates a charge in the glass
cover, albeit small. But enough to attract dust. Like the face of your
computer monitor. It's like trying to print statically charged negatives in
your enlarger. An impossible task.

Sealing up a digital camera is actually the only way to keep it hassle
free. LF & MF backs do have covers and require cleaning/dusting before use
unless the print size is only going to be happy snaps.

Those of you that use (or have used) LF know the PITA it is to keep holders
clean and dust free. Even after cleaning, you still have to load them and
quickly store them inside a dustproof bag. I use static free plastic bags.
And when you pull the dark slide to take a photograph, static can be
created, especially with the plastic holders. This is why I use Quickloads
and Readyloads, and the only other film holders that I use are made of wood
(old Graphic holders) or metal (Grafmatic).

My Sharper Image Quadrasomething electronic air cleaner provides me with a
completely dust and static free darkroom. What a joy!!!

Jim