Subject: RE: [Leica] FARWAY, etc.
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:25:57 -0800

>lea does wonderful photos (apparantly) within her own house, few kids
>involved. excellent job. you have a window? you have a studio.
>also Ruth Orkin's indespensible book "a world through my window" -- she made
>three whole books photographing out the same window of her apartment while
>raising 3 children. we have no excuse now.
>kc

Other exciting "window" projects:

WES - "As From My Window I Sometimes Glance." Some 15,000 images shot from
the fourth floor window of his loft overlooking the NYC flower district.
Stunning! My favorite WES work (though the Pittsburgh project has more
conceptual resonance IMO). I'm waiting for the book to be published (won't
hold my breath).

Kertesz - "From My Window." Shots from his appartment windows in Paris and
New York. Particularly lyrical work such as you'd expect from the big K.
Some of the shots of Washington Square in the snow are quite beautiful.

Related, but not photography:

Oskar Schlemmer (a painter) - "Die Fensterbilder." Paintings made from his
apartment window just before blackout. Voyeuristically observed domestic
scenes - a woman ironing, a family eating dinner - painted in dull, muted
colors - melancholy.

The window is a powerful metaphor, and these works tap into that power.
It's something that at once permits one to look out or in, thus permitting
communication with the world on the other side, yet it stands as a barrier
(or shield) - a transparent one, and that's the worst part - between the
two worlds, letting you see what you can't have (or don't want).

Guy

Replies: Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] FARWAY, etc.)