Subject: [Leica] With XP-2, why develop B/W?
From: "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:31:55 -0500

The question in the subject line has to do with a certain resistance on my
part.  I assembled most of the materials necessary to process my own B/W
negatives, as I had done some 35 years ago.  But each time I prepare to get
some conventional B/W film for home processing, I ask myself "why not just
use XP-2 with its smooth tonality and fine grain, then pay Wal-Mart $1.80
for C-41?

Obviously, if one needs 3200 speed or super fine detail, that could be a
reason to use conventional B/W, or if one simply enjoys the process, but
aside from that, for general shooting where ISO 400 is adequate, why isn't
everybody just using XP-2?  What special are you getting from Delta 400,
FP-4, Tri-X, etc?

For background, I gave up my Valoy II and became dormant in the hobby many
years ago, but am now taking a few pictures again, getting negatives done at
Wal-Mart, and then doing the rest with my computer, Picture Window 3.x, and
Epson 1270.

Thanks for any insights (and hopefully, for the inspiration to wet my own
again).

Julian

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] With XP-2, why develop B/W?)
Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: With XP-2, why develop B/W?)