Subject: Re: [Leica] looks like personal attack time, I am game!
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:12:07 -0500

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > have a lot more respect for those that can backup what they say.
>
> Me too, but also some real gems come out of people who may not know what
> they are talking about, but I may be able to understand how it applies to
> me.

I agree, but understanding the persons ability sheds a lot of light on
what they said.  Never did I say that a gem could not come from someone
that is not at the top of their game.  Understanding someone's ability
allows me to know when they are providing a gem!

I can be an erogent SOB, but when it comes right down to it, I simply
want to be informed.  That is why I watch some much Fox News:)

> > > There are a lot of things I'm not very good at (well, may be a few...and
> > > some day, I'll discover what those are ;-), but I still do
> > them...and some
> > > of them I do because I enjoy them, some I do because I like
> > learning...but
> > > again, that's my business.
> >
> > It is true that it is your business not mine.  But if you were to
> > criticize me on a subject, but are not very good in that subject, more
> > importantly, not as good as I am in that subject, I am going to take
> > what you have to say with a grain of salt.
>
> Hum.  It depends on the subject.  Some subjects, like what one likes for ice
> cream, or cars, or photos, is very subjective...and just because I may not
> be an expert in paint manufacturing, doesn't mean I can't have a favorite
> color!  I do know what you mean though.

No it doesn't depend on the subject.  I regard the average persons
opinion of my photography higher then experts because most people that
look at my work are average people, not expert photographers.  But
knowing they are not experts tells me something about their opinion.

This also applies to paint.  Depending on the persons knowledge of paint
will determine what I consult them about.  If they know little about
paint and a great deal about painting, I might consult them on color.
If they have been making paint for hundreds of years, I might consult
them on what is the best type of paint for my application.  If they know
neither, but I married her, I might simply let her pick the color to
stay OUT of the dog house!

> I know some guys who are total experts in photographic equipment, but their
> images are not very good, IMO.  I had a woman working for me in the studio
> that used a frigging Holga as her main camera, and damn, if she wasn't
> better with that thing than some of the others with their fancy Rolleis and
> Hasselblads.  Equipment doesn't make the "man", but talent and experience
> does.  Sometimes all the experience in the world can't make you better, if
> you just don't have the talent (and the desire), and sometimes all the
> desire and experience won't do it either.

The old equipment debate, most all of us shoot Leica, enogh said:)  But
your comment about sometimes all the experience in the world cannot amke
you better is completely wrong.  It is not the experience that has made
us all the skilled photographers we are today, it has been the desire to
improve over time.  The man that taught me how to print is an
outstanding human bean, but a losey photographer.  It has nothing to
with experience, but the fact that he is very happy with the quality of
work and does not try to strech to the next level.

Sam