Subject: RE: [Leica] Archival nature of CD-R
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:36:04 -0700

yes and no Jonathan,

the studies are being done, but not completed, as far as I know.

As you can see from your experience, less than ideal conditions will damage
a CD (as they will film, prints etc). In this case, the freezing and thawing
(+ maybe moisture) did the trick on the foil - the most fragile part.

I attended a workshop last year with conservation scientists from the
Canadian Conservation Institute looking at just this - care and longevity of
optical and magnet media.

below is a summary of what they said (they were still in the midst of their
research project then). John Poirer may correct me on some of this - he was
at the workshop two and has a more technical understanding of these
things...)

I put this together for another list, so hope it makes sense here:

The advice was based on the current knowledge from people who are working in
the filed, conversing with colleagues worldwide, and actively involved and
testing themselves. This testing is not yet complete, but they have already
carried out testing for disaster recovery (eg soaking CD's, heat damage,
freezing etc etc).

Most of the info is from the workshop notes, but some is based on info
presented about their current testing for archival life of media,
accelerated aging, etc etc and so bear in mind I may have made my own
mistakes in transcribing this:

But basically, while testing is still being done, the following generally
hold true;

Best quality dyes and metallic layer in the disk - gold and phthalocyanine
eg Kodak Gold Ultima and one or two other brands. Some are also marketed as
"archival" this may not mean anything more, just marketed as such. Though
some makers may be making the protective top lacquer layer of toughened
material to resist scratching. Generally, you get what you pay for - better
quality control, disks that are properly balanced (+ less read error) etc.

Keep in reasonably low humidity and temperature. 10 to 20c is good (not
below -10c) and RH 20-50% (not lower than 10%) No great cycling in either
temperature or humidity, so constant.

Keep in the jewel case( polystyrene, polypropylene or polycarbonate), on
edge, no inserts if possible (not acid free). No labels etc (label and glue
can cause damage, and labels, even circular, increased read errors
dramatically). Non solvent marker if necessary on the case, and if on disk,
only on the very inner circle where the serial number is.

Store out of light - ie in the dark.

Don't scratch them!

Also, how they are burned also makes a big difference. Higher speed
burning/write can lead to more errors. So 1 or 2x write is often better.
Burn to ISO 9660 or whatever it is.

In fact one of the biggest areas with longevity apart from the above was
error level on the recording side, which depended on a number of factors and
got very complicated. Depending on your burning software, running the test
disk option actually tests it AFTER burning, to let you know how much error
there was (there is always some error). Also, over time, CD burners
deteriorate mechanically, introducing more error. And labels of any kind are
about the worst immediate cause

So, that's a quick overview. If there is stuff I forgot, I'll pass it along

They are still testing accelerated aging in different conditions, but I
think they were figuring at least 50-100 years following these type of
guidelines. Of course other factors come into effect such as machines to
read them and so on, but that is a slightly different topic.

Finally, make one for use and one or two for backup, stored separately -
fire, flood, earthquake and theft/vandalism cause more damage than ageing!