Subject: Re: [Leica] Visoflex Lenses
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:16:10 EST

In a message dated 2/14/02 11:36:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
red735i@earthlink.net writes:

> I need a quickie lesson in Visoflex lenses.... Specifically, is there a
>  preset diaphragm?  Is the lens open to full aperture for focusing, then you
>  turn some type of ring, to select your taking aperture?
>
>  Is there any difference between lenses in their operation?  Any lenses NOT
>  preset?

Yes. Lenses designed for use with the Visoflex (e.g. 200mm, 280mm Telyts)
have a pre-set ring permitting you to pre-set the aperture, focus wide-open
and then, without removing the camera from your face, close the aperture to
the pre-set.

Several long M-lenses formerly were manufacture with optical lens-heads that
unscrewed from the focussing mount and could be used, with an adapter, on the
Visoflex. These do not generally have pre-set diaphragms, though I seem to
recollect that the one of the first 90/2 Summicrons had a pre-set diaphragm.
I've used both my old 90/2,8 Elmarit and 135/2,8 Elmarits on Viso. It's kind
of a pain, given the ease of SLR use for the last 40+ years.

Seth   LaK 9