Subject: [Leica] exchange advice
From: Grégoire Vandenschrick <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:32:50 +0100

Hi everyone,

I post this just to have some advice:

I will soon sell second hand a 50mm summicron R, a 24mm elmarit R and a 60mm
Macro-Elmarit R, and some other brands I own but never use. I will so stay
with an R8 with motor drive and just one 90mm summicron R, and will buy a
24mm elmarit ASPH M and trifocal framer in order to complete my M system
(M6TTL 0.72, 35mm ASPH and 90mm Summicron). I will, in the deal have to
complete a quarter of the sum.

Is it a good deal for you, is it worth to sell these three optics for one M

Here are my arguments (used for my wife but for me too ;-)):

- -R system more useful for longer focal
- -M system far more precise regarding focusing wide angle lenses
- -redundancy between 35mm cron ASPH M and 50mm cron R with preference to the
35mm M
- -replacement of the 24mm R by 24mm ASPH M, better quality, best focus
precision
- -still own an Elpro 3 for the 90mm R, "replacing" 60mm R (for the use I
have, don't do a lot of macro)

I think my systems will be better balanced if I use the R8 with drive for
longer focal (long term planned is the 180mm APO 2.8) and use the M system
for all normal to wide angle shots (still, I will never sell my 90mm
Summicron M for it's silver chrome, rare, isn't it?)

What about the trifocal finder compared to the single 24mm focal finder?
advice regarding quality, viewing facility, parallax error and so on welcome

That's it, ho and by the way, what good camera bag for such gear?

Best,

Greg VDS

Gregoire Vandenschrick
Department of Geography