Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado to speak in Seattle Feb 16
From: Dante Stella <dstella1@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:48:26 -0500

Well, since it's beat-up-on-Allan-Wafkowski-nite, I won't.  I don't want to
be crotchety at my young age, but...

I don't care about Salgado's politics.  He shoots editorial pictures for
Rolling Stone for goodness sake.  And NG.  The first one's viewpoint is
fairly clear.  If the second one has a viewpoint, no one has read the
articles to find out what it is.

As a preliminary issue, I find it hilarious that people went nuts about Leni
Reifenshtal because her message was inseparable from her photography, but
when there is some question about what Salgado is encoding in his pictures,
his work is politically neutral and completely meritorious.  People
complained that Leni ripped off other photographers.  Ok.  Well, so did
Salgado.  Either it is with both Salgado and her, or with neither.  But
people have built up to the same kind of idolatry for Salgado that makes
them worship 50 year old cameras.  But wait -- Leica uses his work to sell
50-year old cameras.  That ties it all together.  I really don't care for
Leni or Sebastiao.

But that's neither here nor there.  The reason why I don't care for Salgado
is his recent work, especially as I saw it in Madrid.

First, the compositional element of Exodus suggested the point of view of a
video camera and not a person.  None of the direct contact or human interest
of Gene Smith, rather a Zaccheus-from-the-tree viewpoint.  There were a
couple of strong pictures: a window light portrait in Bosnia, some men
pulling a boat in Vietnam (or was it the Philippines), but even those did
not engage the subject.  But in the majority, there are no events - it seems
that every shot is a frame from a movie.  That does not convey the human
condition, except that a line of humans are as ants on a hill or part of a
landscape.  In fact, I thought that for  this reason, a fair number of the
shots were de-humanizing.

Second, not everyone likes TMZ shot at f/1.0.  It is hard on the eyes, the
tonality is lacking (well, you get at least 6 shades of gray) and when
exhibited on a grand scale, it looks like a dot-matrix printer did it.

Finally, Children of the Exodus was very contrived.  Child after child in
front of the same background, same dodge-by-fist printing technique.  What
is this, the Olan Mills of West Africa?

This last one is probably his lab assistant's fault, but he certainly had
something to say about it:

The use of huge exhibition prints underwhelms me.  In the Circle of Fine
Arts you could not back up enough to view one of the prints without tripping
over someone or hitting the other wall.  Perhaps worse, the use of large and
overwhelming prints reminds me of something I heard when I was eight: any
picture looks good blown up, but very few look good on a contact sheet.

I don't have a problem with giving Salgado his due as a great journalist
photographer, but I do not think he is on a par with Smith, DDD,
Cartier-Bresson and on.

Dante