Subject: Re: [Leica] "Ideal format?"
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:27:22 -0500

Bernard Cousineau wrote:

> > > 4X6? Where did that come from. Minilabs are a recent enough that they
> > >  could have chosen to print 35mm full frame.
> > Hello. 4X6 IS 35mm full frame.
>
> 4X6 would be full frame if most minilabs didn't crop out a millimeter or so from all four sides.

This looking like a discussion of where the mini labs should print full
frame or if they should crop about 5%~10% of the image.  Being one that
prints full frame, I know that the exact dimentions of different makes
of camera are different.  I have not measured, but I have setup my
enlarger to print a neg from my Leica full frame and then stuck a Nikon
Neg in and one is a bit bigger then the other.  I am talking a faction
of a millimeter, but once enlargered it turns into millimeters.  I
assume the minilabs crop the way they do to take this type of thing into
account.

Also keep in mind that most SLR's show only between 85% and 92% of what
is going to be on the neg.  The Nikon F series shows 100%.  Canon's
EOS-1 shows 100%, also.  I don't know what other SLR's show 100% (Do any
of the Leica SLR's?).  The point is that most people never realize there
is something being cut off.

I see only three ways of getting everything that is on the negative.
Print your own negs, scan them in full frame, or pay a real lab to print
full frame.

Sam

Message from Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] "Ideal format?")