Subject: [Leica] Digital and lens resolution was Re: APD out
From: David Prakel <dgp@btconnect.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:26:53 +0000

>> Digital in the R line would be a good excuse to sell more lenses.
>
> Yes, if using the same lens mount.

The LUG has carried a lot of messages about wished-for digital cameras for
the R and M systems. And how Leica lenses would be great with digital. As
they stand Leica lenses are simply too high resolution to be suitable for
digital imaging.

If you look at any of the 'converted' 35mm SLRs that are used as platforms
for digital cameras - I'm thinking principally of the Kodak 520/560 and 760
Canon/Nikon rebuilds - you will see that they have a so-called
'anti-aliasing' filter in the throat of the the lens mount. This acts as a
replaceable dust filter, as a 'hot mirror' filter to cut down IR and UV but
most importantly as a blurring filter to limit the lens resolution to about
40lpm max.

On the other-hand colour fringing performance is more important with digital
than with conventional film - Leica is OK on that score!

Don't take my word for it - Schneider has published an excellent white paper
on why high resolution lenses are unsuited to digital applications.

www.schneideroptics.com/white/kina.htm

- --
David G Prakel

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Digital and lens resolution was Re: APD out)