Subject: Re: [Leica] The use of tripods
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 09:23:48 -0800

Sam Carleton wrote:

> I am just wondering...
>
> How many of you mount your Leica on a tripod?  And how often: 0%, 25%,
> 50%, 75%, or 95%?
>
> I must admit, owning three other camera systems (Nikon, Hasselblad, and
> 4x5) I mount my hasselblad on a tripod 75% of the time and the 4x5 100%
> of the time.  To Date, I have never found a reason to mount my Leica on
> a tripod, I opt for a larger format so I can make larger prints:)
>
> Sam Carleton
> http://w3.one.net/~carleton/dayinyourlife.html
> http://photos.yahoo.com/samcarleton
> --

Sometimes you need a tripod.

I've been doing a major remodel of my house and the first thing I've
done is shoot each room; all four walls with my M6 and my 21mm Asph with
Kodak Portra 100 T film. T stands for Tungsten. All my exposures have
been at one second. My F. Stops between F 11 and 5.6. And this film has
not reciprocity failure till you do 5 second exposures.
For all shots i used my Ries J 100 wood tripod and a Gitzo Rational R4
head. And a nice German Cable release. I got Cable!

For all shots i careful leveled the camera using a small level.

I'm bringing in the film Monday to have it run, proofed and all the negs
scanned on a cd at pretty big scans. All for 14 bucks a roll here at a
pro lab here: Photocraft.

I have found that sometimes my 35mm cameras need to be on a tripod.
Sometimes you don't want medium or large format for low or very low
light careful stuff.
And sometimes you just need slides for 35mm slide shows and or because
that is the photo unit which is comfortable in a situation.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com