Subject: [Leica] Newish Rangefinder Gadgets From Japan
From: "Paul C. Brodek" <pcb@skyweb.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:47:26 -0500

Hi All,

There's a couple of interesting rangefinder-specific gadgets hitting
the market in Japan.

Kenko introduced a polarizing finder/filter system for rangefinders.
The "PL Finder" is essentially a shoe-mount polarizing filter, maybe
25mm in diameter, printed/stamped with a position scale.  The finder
is used together with lens-mount circular polarizing filters stamped
with matching position scales ("Circular PL Vernier").  You look
through the finder, rotate to the desired degree of polarization,
then transfer the position reading from the finder filter to the lens
filter.  The filters are sold separately, in 39mm, 40.5mm, 43mm and
46mm sizes.  List price is 4,800 yen for the finder (US$ 36.00) and
8,000 yen for the filters (US$ 60).

Looks to me like it would be more convenient to setup than the Leica
polarizer, as it eliminates the need to deal with setscrews and
adaptor rings.  After it's installed on a lens, the Leica polarizer
would probably be faster in use.  Overall I would guess that, if using
in the field with multiple lenses, the Kenko would be faster and more
convenient.

Haven't seen anything on this on THK's (most likely US distributor)
website.  Here are the links to the Japanese pages:
http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/news/0110161.html
http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/news/0110162.html

Bronica introduced a double accessory shoe for the Bronica RF that
includes a hot shoe.  I wouldn't think there'd be any TTL flash
compatibility with Leica, but if you needed to use both a finder and
an automatic/non-TTL flash on your Leica/Hexar/Bessa this might let
you do it without having to use a synch cord.  List price is 15,000
yen ($115.00).

Bronica also introduced an interesting polarizing method for the RF.
A 43mm polarizer threads into a bracket which clips over the
viewfinder, covering the finder window.   Position scale settings from
the 43mm polarizer are transferred to a 58mm lens-mount polarizer with
matching scale.  Nothing really directly applicable to our beloved
Leicas here, but I thought it was an interesting solution to the
rangefinder polarizing issue.  Links to the double shoe and polarizer:
http://www.tamron.co.jp/rf645/rf645_acc.htm

Enjoy,

PB

Paul C. Brodek