Subject: Re: [Leica] Dream Street in Pittsburgh
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:02:11 -0400

Brian:

This was a very moving article to read.  When you speak of tombstones you
are right on the money.

My parents were both killed in a car crash this spring at the recently
retired ages of 64 and 59.  On the last time I met with my Dad, we had just
launched his boat and taken it for a test run.  Gordon was along with us
sat on my Dad's lap and steered the boat.  After the test run it was just
mid morning and we went with Gordon to Stevo Renos for a coffee.

On the way home we passed a cemetery, which is in the middle of town and
opposite the Victorian Gardens.   My father related the story of when he
was sixteen and his dad had died.  There was a family plot in this cemetery
for his dad, but when my grandfather had married he converted to
Catholicism. It was an Anglican Cemetery.  My Grandmother would not allow
her husband to be buried in an Anglican cemetery.  He ended up being buried
in a cemetery out in the suburbs.  My Grandmother was later buried there
beside him.

A week after my boat ride and the stop at the coffee shop, my parents were
both dead.  I told the story of my Grandfathers unused plot in the cemetery
to the funeral director.  He did some research with one of my uncles and
found the family plots dating back to 1749.  It was on these plots that my
parents got buried.  The memorial went up just before Christmas.  It is the
second row in and very visible from the city street.

Gordon, Jacqueline and I are on our way to Stevo Reno's for a mid morning
coffee break.  We will pass the grave site on the way there.  It is
comforting to see the memorial on a daily basis.  One day Jacqueline and I
will lay to rest here as well and it will be Gordon and his family that get
to see the memorial as they drive by.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/PAW2002/wk1alt.htm

Regards,

Robert