Subject: [Leica] Re: Dream Street in Pittsburgh
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 21:48:24 -0800

Thanks for your thoughtful article, Brian. It inspires me to think more
about the on-line community of friends and neighbors. Way back when the
"global village" was proposed, I pictured it as a huge community spanning
everyone on the planet. Now, through groups like the LUG, I realize today
that "village" means something small and intimate within the global
communications network, and you captured that feeling so well in a beautiful
eulogy. Perhaps your words are a part of the monument to Matt Tracy which
you're looking for. Mere words do, however, seem less substantial than your
Anglican grave markers or those ancient headstones I saw in Yorkshire
churchyards a year ago.

Your writing touched other chords, too. I lived in Cleveland in 1965,
roaming the "Flats" with a Ricoh Singlex, documenting a wilderness of steel
plants and coal yards, sneaking photos in the downtown outdoor produce
market, and vainly searching the greasy-spoon menu for something new at the
only diner within walking distance of my rented room near West 25th and
Dennison. Pittsburgh sounded similar. I'm looking forward to seeing the W
Eugene Smith photos in Dream Street.

Thanks, too, for a glimpse of your friend, Matt, along with the special
presence in your words when two or more are gathered.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff