Subject: Re: [Leica] A couple of newbie Leica questions
From: "Matthew Powell" <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 22:12:00 -0600

> 2. I am contemplating purchasing a wide-angle lens to
> create a super lightweight two lens travel kit (that
> I'll keep in a LowePro Photo Runner hip pack).  The
> lens that are in consideration are the Voigtlander
> 21/4, 25/4 and 28/1.9 ... I'd appreciate any comments
> as to which lens you think would work best for this
> task.

The 21 and 28 are rangefinder-coupled, the 25 is not. The 25 is also, IIRC,
the oldest of the group, and could have a few more manufacturing flaws than
newer, better-designed models (I base this on Erwin Puts reviews - the early
CV lenses had decentering, flare, specks - and the newest have very little
of the above).

If it were me, I'd prefer the speed of the 28, and possibly no need for an
accessory viewfinder (does the M3 have 28 framelines, or can the entire
viewfinder approximate a 28?).