Subject: Re: [Leica] Stared down by subject of street photo
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 22:43:52 -0400

At 09:06 PM 2/2/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>This is great stuff, Robert, and the results are well worth the effort of
>carting around 16 pounds of gear.

It was 16 pounds just for the camera and lens, not including the tripod.  I
just got a new Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod and it certainlt helped in the
weight of the whole package.  The eagles this week was the first time I
used the new Gitzo.  Certainly produces sharp images.

>I've been using fill flash for birds, bracketing and letting the R8 and the
>Metz module do the thinking for me.  On the image you posted, I wonder
>whether fill flash would blow out the sunlit portion of the bird's head.

When I use fill flash it is at -1 2/3, so it probably wouldn't affect the
white part, which had the much stronger sunlight on it.  Interestingly, the
eagles chest , in sunlight at least, is pretty close to the proper
exposure.  Assuming that the flash reads the chest area, it should just add
enough lights to lighten up the shadows a bit.  I used this fill method on
the fox picture linked below.  The white fur on the fox held without
blowing out.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Misc/fox.jpg

Regards,

Robert