Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Paw Please
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:05:55 -0800

On 2/2/02 at 8:21 AM, royfel@mac.com (Roy Feldman) thoughtfully wrote:

> http://homepage.mac.com/royfel/

I love the portrait of the young girl in the chair. There are the perspective
problems that go with having the camera in front of her that causes the photo to
have a tilt to it (the frame slopes down and to the right) which I THINK would
be eliminated by a different camera placement. Or, hey, you could use a view
camera and play with about 8 or 10 different degrees of freedom. The thought
intimidates me.

I really LIKE this photo. A whole lot. There's a feel to it, a sparseness,
gradiations of color on the back wall, her smile. It just really speaks to me. A
really nice image. The still-life as a part of this is a wonderful touch -
perhaps the inspiration.

Now there IS the issue of her shadow (I think) that is projected on thetable and
the basket holding the flowers. In the best of all worlds maybe you'd be able to
deal with that differently.

But I think this one is a blow-it-up and hang it on the wall photo.

Can I ask what film you were using?

The 2nd photo - of the line of young women with the flags - is nice. Good
expression and good use of depth of field. But as I look at it I keep wanting
the shot that comes a bit later when the young lady sweeps that flag down so it
and her face are in focus. Of course the shot I'm wishing for may never have
come! But I think that I desire to see it is an indication that having the
raised flag which is cropped out of the image indicates something is amiss.

Of the two industrial shots - which I always enjoy, there's nothing like
watching diligent people at work - I like the engine assembly shot the best.
Again I wanted the camera position down and to the left to bring the line of
engine blocks up a tad and just a bit closer to the foremost engine the
gentleman is assembling.

Gee - here I am playing with your work. But I guess what it indicates is that I
was engaged by these images and most definately appreciate your sharing them.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Rodinal and Sodium Ascorbate....)