Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanner and printer for the Mac
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:33:58 -0800

At 8:37 PM +0100 2/1/02, Pascal wrote:
>On 01-02-2002 20:10 Feliciano di Giorgio wrote:
>
>>  It looks like Firewire is replacing SCSI as the main interface on most
>>  scanners etc.
>
>May be but that's beside the point. The issue was about connecting a SCSI
>scanner, like the LS-2000, to a PowerBook G4.
>The Nikon LS-2000 is still a top-notch scanner and for most people there is
>no need to upgrade to the LS-4000 FireWire. I do certainly not accept that
>people should upgrade their perfectly well functioning LS-2000 only in order
>to have a scanner with FireWire port.
>
>Pascal
>NO ARCHIVE

Quite true.

However, even with PC card SCSI adapters there have been many
incompatibilities, including with Nikon scanners. If you have a
combination that works, great, but there tend to be fewer headaches
and greater compatibility with firewire. If you get a scanner now and
have (or are getting) a Mac, go with firewire, or if you want to go
cheaper and are willing to put up with long scan times, USB.

SCSI PCI cards have a lot better track record than PC card adapters.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com