Subject: RE: [Leica] The real america - OT OT OT OT - No Starbucks. No Scotch. No Leica.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:40:29 -0500

Interestingly, though, I spent two days in Birmingham last summer, one of
which was spent shooting a black, diabetic lab worker at UA Birmingham
Medical Center - which was, not surprisingly, a hotbed of what passed for
liberalism there in the early 60s. Anyway, I spent some time at Kelly Ingram
Park, and went over to the 16th Street Baptist Church - The park is now a
Movement Memorial, with some VERY striking sculptures - Fire hoses, cop with
snarling dog on leash with dog grabbing protester's sweater - as in the PP
winning photo. And a really wild one of three open-jawed dogs, appearing to
leap out of slabs of metal, which you walk between as you follow the path
through the park. Really disturbing. As was even being on the steps of the
church.

BTW- as to change. The black woman who was my subject - who only moved to
Birmingham from Springfield, MA, about 10 years ago, said that the bottom
line is that if you're black in Birmingham, very little has really changed.
Yes, there are black elected officials, cops, etc. Yes, the place appears
totally desegregated. And of course all of that represents enormous,
positive, change. But attitudes, she said, are really little different from
what they were in 1963. She said that growing up in a very racially and
ethnically mixed area of Springfield, MA, she was virtually unaware of race.
But in Birmingham, virtually everything there is viewed through a window of
race.

Of course then I went with her to photograph her doing her water aerobics
glass at in the pool at the health club - where she was splashing around
with all the white ladies.

B. D.

BTW - For anyone interested in this sort of thing, I have just finished
reading, and cannot recommend highly enough, "Carry Me Home," by Carrie
McWhorter, the story of Birmingham and its place in the Civil Rights
movement. Absolutely astounding book.