Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW - Week 4 - Slide One
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 06:32:12 -0800

John wrote:
>>> http://slideone.com/PAW2002/week04.02.html
> Self Crit: I like the group interaction on the left side of the frame and
> the single girl doing her thing in the mirror. The blur of the passers by
> gives a slight feeling of 'happening'. The poster in the upper right need
> burn job. Overall it works ok for me.<<

Hi John,
Nothing like the 1/4 second shutter speed to indicate and capture motion in
walking humans! ;-)

If you go faster, even an 1/8th wont give you that beautiful flow effect
where you can feel people moving. The higher shutter speeds stop the
movement and can lead to pictures that look like you screwed-up in using the
wrong shutter speed.

The reverse is to use too long an exposure and it becomes too surrealistic.
The 1/4 second rule usually works nicely for both colour and B&W, while
maintaining an interesting looking effect in the photograph.

Nit picking:
I noticed you mentioned a "burn job" in the photo hanging bkgd left as we
view the scene. May I suggest in the future when something catches "your
eye" to make the changes before you post, rather than pointing out an error
of yourself.

Don't forget mon ami, each time one puts their photography before a crowd it
is a signature of themselves and the quality of their ability. It's much
better to make the correction than pointing it out to an angry group of
photo critics. ;-)

I imagine if you were doing this as a client picture you'd have burnt it
down or PSp'd it out before hand.

Still a well executed and effective picture.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant