Subject: [Leica] Chinese Batteries
From: Bruce Bowman <b.bowman@delkergrid.com> (By way of b.bowman@delkergrid.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:22:02 -0500

I did a lot of research on this subject about a year ago.

I was in Varta's plant in Ellwangen Germany when the last mercury cells were being produced. I scored a enough to last me for a couple of years. I asked one if the equipment guys who travels to China if he knew of anyone there that made mercury cells. He said he would check on his next trip.

He reported that there were a couple of manufacturers, but he doubted that they were really mercury, probably alkaline.

I\ was in China in June, and toured all of the name Chinese button cell plants. No one was producing mercury any more. They said there was no countries they could sell them in any more.

It is possible that a small company could be making them. I don't know how they could sell them in the US, Europe or Japan, however, and that's where most of the market is.

Oh well.

I will use Zn Air or the CRIS adapter when my stock runs out.