Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW - Week 4 - Slide One
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:01:32 -0500

http://slideone.com/PAW2002/week04.02.html

First, this is a good effort for a difficult place.  Without other versions
we don't know what the effect of slightly faster shutter speeds would be but
I suspect that a slightly faster speed would give more texture to the shot
or a burst of extremely weak flash(say at -4 stops) to bring out the
diversity of the flow.  Also, instead of burning in the posters why not
shoot from an angle that excludes them?  As TG has mentioned, you can burn a
lot of film with this technique to get one great shot.

http://slideone.com/PAW2002/week04alt1.02.html

I think that if you could have moved your camera position lower, keeping all
of the drawing on the wall unobscured, and to the left to show some of the
details of the art that the students on the right are working on that would
have better tied the two halves of this image together.  Most people
gravitate to a telephoto because it is so difficult to bring disparate parts
of an image into a working whole.

http://slideone.com/PAW2002/week04alt2.02.html

Yes, higher and to the right to block the soft box.  The students expression
make the photo.  I don't find the arm blocking the camera difficult unless
you are trying to market the camera.  Polaroid can use the advertising right
now.

http://slideone.com/PAW2002/week04alt3.02.html

This is a good record shot.  With the empty halls did you try to use the
girl as a strong foreground with the empty halls stretching off into the
distance as a background?

Regarding Xtol.  Shoot a roll in somewhat contrasty lighting and develop it
at 1:3 for between 12 and 14 minutes at 72F.  When I post my PAW the image
of Sharise has detail deep into her hair that I chose not to do the
contortions necessary to bring out and show the environmental highlights as
well.  I really think that the added dilution helps with neopan 1600.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com