Subject: Re: [Leica] Posting First Pictures...sharpen/
From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:08:29 -0800

Hi Lea, et al:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I guess I will have to wait for a while to
get into the PhotoShop league - I am using an HP Scanjet 5100C which is
a flat bed with dedicated and very limited software.  What else would
you expect from a 71 year old retired country-cousin who's just now
going into his second childhood?  ;-)  But I do what to learn to take
good, interesting photos and also how to use the equipment I have, so
your help is very much appreciated.

You have all inspired me to read the help file (don't all Americans
follow the edict, "if all else fails, read the instruction manual?) and
to my amazement there was a note on turning on and off the automatic
sharpening -- well, mine was turned off.

I also have a question for you.  I have been scanning photos for display
on the Net at 150 dpi.  My manual says I can use a setting of about 80
dpi for photos that will be viewed on a computer monitor.  Is that
setting high enough to do the photos justice, or should I go higher?  If
so, how high?

Now, back to the manual.  I will rescan and replace those photos post
haste.

Thanks a lot, folks!

Ted in Olalla