Subject: RE: [Leica] picking pockets with an M
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:33:03 -0500

I think also that, at least in terms of street type candid photography where
your purpose for taking the pictures is not obvious, speed is as important
as the camera used.  Go rent or borrow the PBS video where Winogrand is
shown shooting in the street with an M camera.  He will be walking along,
and all of a sudden he quickly raises - almost jerks - the camera to his
eyes, fires, and lowers the camera back down in one motion.  The subject
doesn't have a chance to react, much less object to the process.  HCB has
been described by those who have seen him shoot as doing something very
similar.  Quickly raises the camera, shoots, and then lowers the camera,
without the camera lingering at his face for more then a very brief moment.
And as B.D. says, using an M helps since it is such a non-threatening little
camera.

BK