Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji Neopan 1600: Resofine and Xtol
From: Eberhard.Gronau@t-online.de (Eberhard Gronau)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:30:55 +0000

am 21.01.2002 13:32 Uhr schrieb Gareth Jolly unter
Gareth.Jolly@btopenworld.com:

> I'm about to embark on another a low light documentary project using my
> trusty M6.
>
> I did a jazz project last year, using Tri-X developed in Xtol 1:3.
>
> For this project, I've been thinking of using Fuji Neopan.  In the jazz
> project, I found that the midtones and highlights tended to overdevelop in
> Xtol - at least using the recommended developing times.
>
> Someone has recommended Speedibrews Resofine to me.  By way of background,
> Speedibrews is a UK company (www.speedibrews.free-online.co.uk).  Resofine
> is a two bath developer which is meant to be very good in high contrast, low
> light situations.  I think it's a variant on D-23.
>
> Has anyone used Speedibrews Resofine developer with Fuji Neopan 1600?
>
> I was wondering
>
> 1.  what developing times to use?
>
> 2. if anyone knew how the results with Resofine compare to Xtol ?
>
> Any other tips or comments would also be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Gareth Jolly
>
> --

Hi Gareth,

since several years Iīm doing this jazz-thing. I mean hanging auround in
dark and narrow clubs trying to capture the intensity of a jazz concert. I
did shoot musicians on stage in full contrast light or backstage where
nearly no light exists.
All the time I used neopan 1600 and developed it only with emofin from
tetenal. Emofin is a two-step developer too. It gives the film one step more
if you shoot it in normal contrast conditions and keeps the film in its
range when shooting at the bandstand.  This developer gives neopan 1600 fine
and beautiful grain, a crisp sharpness and overall detail. I love this
combination but use emofin also with Tri-X.  I did some exhibitons with that
stuff. The prints had a size of 30x40 cm and even 80x100cm.  A dutone
printed calendar was published several times in Germany, Switzerland and
Austria.
Tetenal is a company located in germany. I donīt know, if their stuff is
supplied in the US.

Best regards,

Eberhard Gronau