Subject: RE: [Leica] M3 viewfinder killing eyeglasses - was Photographer's Block
From: Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:18:18 -0500

At 08:06 PM 1/21/2002, you wrote:
>At 05:11 PM 1/21/02 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:
> >Come on, Marc. It may be an option for you. But I know I would never want to
> >day. There are, however, some really good coatings now for hardening plastic
> >lenses. I've had glasses for six months, a year, without a single scratch of
> >any kind.
>
>I have bad eyes and my glasses are not light -- but glass is the best way
>to go.  The weight is meaningless.  The heaviest pair of glasses weigh a
>LOT less than does the smallest Leica lens, after all.
>
>I do agree about modern plastics and coatings, though.  I am experimenting
>with a pair of plastic glasses at the challenge of my optometrist, and I
>have now had them for two years, and they work fine so far.  I have not
>babied them -- but my M3 has yet to mark them in the least.
>
>But, still, glass is the way to go.

In an ideal way, yes I'd prefer glass...but when one is dealing with -8.25
and -10 nearsighted eyes, glass is simply not an option.  The weight and
thickness are uncomfortable beyond description; almost painful.  Without
correction I cannot focus beyond three inches from my eyes; with correction
I approach 20/20 pretty well.  High index diffraction polycarbonate lens
reduced the thickness at the periphery of my lenses from almost 1/2 an inch
to about 1/4 of an inch, and reduced the weight something extraordinary.

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

Entropy isn't what it used to be.

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] M3 viewfinder killing eyeglasses - was Photographer's Block)