Subject: Re: [Leica] going beyond family photography
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:04:56 -0800

B.D. Wrote:
And made some very valid points. Glad it was him with the courage and not me
who is frail and bent before the winds of time. ;-)

>>> Eric - Keep doing what you are doing! This "serious photography" thing
is
> such total and utter crap I don't know where to begin in trying to deal
with
> it.

>> I'll make a lot more enemies than I probably already have on this list
and
> say that the vast majority of what is taken and posted here is incredibly
> mediocre, run of the mill snap shots that everyone either ooooos and
aaaaahs
> over, or, as has more recently been the case, plays art critic with -

>>there is this really sad belief that if one goes out and takes a basically
> crappy photo of a bum in the street, but uses a Leica, it's a "serious
> photograph." Or if one takes an utterly vapid shot of two people talking
in
> a public place, it's meaningful "street photography." Sorry guys, it's
not.
> It's a crappy, derivative, photo of a bum that happened to have been taken
> with a an overpriced camera. Or a dull, meaningless photo that happens to
> show two people talking, but makes absolutely no statement, conveys no
idea,  says nothing.

>>Serious photography is photography by a person with reasonably good
> photographic skills who is serious about what he or she is doing.<<<

B.D. old chap, ;-)
I see you made note you're on the way to the bomb shelter, I trust it's deep
and well stocked for several months survival ! ;-)

The unfortunate part is, what you've had the courage to post is absolutely
true! Is it possible there's sufficient items in your bomb shelter to
accommodate another? :-)

I've always been a great encourager of photographers struggling to capture
interesting photographs during countless critiques of camera clubs across
the country. As well as lecturing professional groups whom I've stood side
by each with many of the photographers covering major events.

But the one thing I've never done and don't believe in for one second is to
"sweet talk nit pick a photo to make some shooter feel good!" Certainly when
it's an absolutely nada photograph.

I've always given a "fix it alternative" to alleviate the pain of being shot
down for a valid reason.  One of the major elements of the Leica Seminar
each fall is the final critique of the newly shot images by about 80
attendees on the final afternoon. Quite frankly that's the highlight for
many who attend to see their slides on the screen before a large group of
people and find out whether they did good, bad or ugly shooting.

I of course ensure through metal detectors all weapons are checked upon
entry to the conference hall. ;-)

I've been in some great heated word battles face to face with professionals
who believe their picture is the be all to end all of photography. Whew!!
Blood and band-aids, but rarely have I lost!

What's important when learning photography and even tougher to keep in mind
as a professional, is to temper ones "emotions about the picture and the
events leading up to making the shot." As the only thing relevant is what's
on the photo print or slide, and is it good, bad or ugly! All other factors
are meaningless which for some is quite tough to understand.

All the who's, why's, I broke my leg getting this shot therefore it's an
incredible picture, don't count twiddly!!

"I shot this picture on the top of Mount Everest and used a Leica." So! Big
deal, it's still a lousy picture!" And that folks is reality many miss when
they are learning how to select what they think is a good photograph, there
emotions get in the way.

And what's worse?  Some critic comes along and says, "I like this shot, Oh a
good one love it!" and many other comments which lead the poor shooter down
a false garden path, when in reality they should be told this photograph is
a pile of crap! Period!

However, in doing that!  You the maker of the comment had better be prepared
to explain exactly how to make it better!  Then make the shooter go back and
re-shoot it or at least a similar situation to learn how to make it work .

I believe without question your point:
>>there is this really sad belief that if one goes out and takes a basically
crappy photo of a bum in the street, but uses a Leica, it's a "serious
photograph." <<

Sadly we see this time and time again, Hey guys and gals, you're not
alone.......... working professionals do it all the time! They get all huffy
and pissed off because their "serious photograph" gets burned by the judges!

It's never easy deciding what picture to post when one is learning, but it's
important to the learning curve to post, but always keep in mind there are
1000 plus members, therefore the potential for 1000 plus critiques and
suggestions.

Take them with a grain of salt, if there's something you can immediately
relate to and would like to try then re-shoot as soon as possible to see
whether the comment was correct or you have an improvement to your liking.

I would say the LUG has turned a corner in style from talking about Leica
cameras and equipment to "using Leica cameras and lenses and showing" what
folks produce with them.

I might suggest in away that the using and showing is more meaningful due to
the fact...photography is a visual medium.......therefore we learn from
doing and seeing, rather than just talking.
ted

OK B.D. move over and break out the extra flak jacket! ;-)

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant