Subject: [Leica] re: photos standing on their own
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:44:07 -0800

>>Actually, he has set it up. His daughter is going away to school and he is
>>going to shoot one picture a day until she leaves. With that in mind, the
>>shots should be found shots, not orchestrated shots, because there is an
>>element of documentation taking place.

what b.d. was saying (i believe) is that the photo doesn't stand on it's own
without the caption.

this is one of the most important rules that i never learned. my photo
teachers
would dismiss my entries because without telling a backstory (it's a guy
who's
paralized, and see, he's standing up!") it's just a picture of a person.

"tell with the picture, not with the mouth"

you know how it looks when it's good -- a sweaty, crying football player
kneeling
on a field -- a look of incredible dejection and sorry on his face -- while
in the
background team members wearing a different color jerseyare jubuliantly
carrying
another player away on their shoulders popping champaign corks... compared
a photograph of the same guy in street clothes buying a cheese burger with
the
caption "joe smith just lost the superbowl by missing an 8 yard field goal.
he
is very sad and is buying a cheeseburger on his way home." one tells the
story,
the other has to have the story tagged on at the end.