Subject: Re: [Leica] Rules of the Rednecks...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:15:59 -0500

At 01:34 PM 1/20/02 -0600, Sonny Carter wrote:
>Uh, Marc and RP
>   I know that many people believe that sun-burnt necks was the root of the
>phrase, but my sources disagree with that, and also with the idea I
>presented, though I have heard the Scottish Mercenary story before, I was
>unable to unearth it, since the Cammie Henry Research Center (where I work)
>is closed for the long weekend.

Sonny

The Appalachians were filled to the brim with Irish and Highland Scots
immigrants, but I (who come from this same stock) know of no special
significance to "red" neckscarves among the Celts.  In fact, in the
northern UK and Scots Lowlands and in the Six Counties, "red neck" is a
disparaging term used by Protestants speaking of Roman Catholics.

And I am fairly familiar with a lot of American Civil War history -- after
all, I live in the midst of its traces! -- and have never heard of any
soldiers, North or South, with a practice of making a red scarf an item of
their uniform.

Interesting stuff!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315