Subject: Re: [Leica] Rules of the .Rednecks...
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:34:57 -0600

Uh, Marc and RP
   I know that many people believe that sun-burnt necks was the root of the
phrase, but my sources disagree with that, and also with the idea I
presented, though I have heard the Scottish Mercenary story before, I was
unable to unearth it, since the Cammie Henry Research Center (where I work)
is closed for the long weekend.

My own recollection of my hard-scrabble farmer grandfathers is they
protected themselves from sunburn in the fields.

SCOTTISH HILLBILLIES AND REDNECKS?

By Todd J. Wilkinson
Vice-President, Celtic Society of the Ozarks

REDNECK

The origins of this term are Scottish and refer to supporters of the
National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or "Covenanters",
largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster
(Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters
of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the
Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of
England as its official state church.

The signing of the National Covenant, Greyfriar's Kirkyard, 1638

Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth
around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term "Red neck", which
became slang for a Scottish dissenter*. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed
by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in
Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar -- is this symbolic of
the "rednecks"?
Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially the South) were
Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern
descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when
an author noted that "red-neck" was a "name bestowed upon the
Presbyterians." It makes you wonder if the originators of the ever-present
"redneck" joke are aware of the term's origins?

.