Subject: Re: [Leica] Michael's PAW for week 3
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:10:41 +1100

>I seem to be numbering things a bit differently to the other PAWers... my
>week 3 shot over here:
>
>   http://www.mabot.com/paw02/wk3-0201-1025.html
>
>I spent friday afternoon and saturday morning in a few shopping malls, my
>first real attempt at street photography. (I'm not brave enough to try real
>streets here, but that's another discussion.)
>
>Mostly I was just trying to get over sticking a camera in people's faces.
>Only one person objected (at a distance,) one asked what I was up to, one
>asked to have her picture taken (and emailed to her.) Only one security
>guard objected, when I was hanging around getting an address from the woman
>who asked, but he wasn't seroius and he belonged to a shop not the centre in
>any case.
>
>These were all with an SLR and 50/1.4 on cheap 400 colour print film, mostly
>1/60 at f/2.8. I soon gave up on adjusting for bright and dark regions, the
>film seemed to handle it fine. Focusing fast enough is pretty hard,
>especially close in.
>
>Comments would be appreciated.
>
>Michael

Mike,

I think you have made a great start. Time to get brave and out on the
street ;-) The first larger image is quite intriguing. You have made
a good "universal" image, by making anyone who looks at the image
question what the subjects are thinking. 8/10 Number 2 is ordinary -
Ok we all want to take images of attractive members of the opposite
sex, but the effect of "grabbing" images usually disappoints --- I
suggest this through constant personal failure, but perhaps I've
missed something in this shot. 3/10, Three: again I cant see the
purpose, beyond building up your experience, and facing "people" head
on, but better than 2, so 5/10. Number four is better, but no cigar.
You have concentrated on the subject and story again, but for me, the
story was limited. 6/10.

Remember, my thoughts only. I think you have made a brave start.

Cheers and here's luck
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com

The Family of Man 2 Exhibit for Year one is now showing:

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~firkin/FOM2%20Folder/YearOneExhibit/YearOne.html