Subject: Re: [Leica] Selecting print size
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:30:56 -0800

I've kind of standardized on 11x14's.

I've got mainly those hanging around the house/studio in 14x18 black
metal frames.
As it's what people see it's what people tend to order.
It's what my main "books" - portfolios are sized at.

I print 11x14's in trays i set up every Thursday.
Some negs get printed 8x10 in those Jobo or Patterson trays and so do
8x10 contact proof sheets i make Wednesdays.

The last Thursday of every month i mix up trays for 16x20 printing.
I put those in 20x24 frames. And I've got portfolio boxes and carriers
for both sizes.

I'm trying to not do 8x10's they are feeling like too much of a
cliche-size for my eyes.
I think if i saw "Moonrise" as an 8x10 I'd want to pay 20 bucks for it.

Prices
Collectors fine prints
B&W, Color or Inkjet "Giclée" from the Photographers Body of work.
In other words in a gallery show or if you pick a shot off my walls or
outa one of my "books".
these are unmounted and not framed:
8x10	$250
11x14	$300
16x20	$350

I'll be raising my prices i guess. They are starting to sound way low.

When I'm hired to do a commercial or family job i charge much less as
I'm making supposedly most of the money for my time and basic rate ahead
of time. The prints are more of a service than a way of making a lot of
money. However as i print them myself and no assistant or outside lab
does it i charge a bit more for them then other commercial photographers perhaps.

However many portrait photographers charge almost nothing for their time
and rate but closer to the above rates for their prints.
I find that disturbing almost sleazy but it is widespread so I dont
think much about it.

B&W RC print
8x10	$40
11x14	$50
16x20	$75

B&W fiber print
8x10	$60
11x14	$75
16x20	$100

B&W fiber archival print
8x10	$65
11x14	$100
16x20	$150

Color C print
8x10	$50
11x14	$75
16x20	$100

Direct Positive Fujichrome print from transparency
8x10	$75
11x14	$100
16x20	$200

Mark Rabiner