Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: M6TTL vs "Classic" question
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:30:29 -0800

><Snip>
>
> M3s and M2s are all OLD cameras. They may indeed represent the pinnacle of
> Leica mechanics and design. They may indeed feel wonderful. They certainly
> have less flare-prone viewfinders, and more metal parts. BUT...They are old.
> And while they are great for shooting the grandkids, or taking on that trip
> to Venice, if you need to depend upon your cameras to deliver the proverbial
> bacon, then it makes little sense not to use a 1-10-year-old camera, rather
> than a 40 to almost 50 year old camera. Things get old, they wear out and
> die. Just like people.
>
> B. D.

How old is your Rolleiflex B.D.?
I don't get this "old" stuff!
The metal doesn't get old.
If the rubber and cloth gets old they replace it. Clean the glass.
People may get old and die but a Leica M3 just sits there and the table
and looks at you.
It's a machine.
"Can we go out and shoot pictures?" it seems to say like a dog wanting a
walk around the block.

So many people don't think just putting a meter in an M body and calling
it an M6 makes it a bacon bringing home camera either.
What difference does not having a meter in the camera make?
There's no meter in my Hasselblad no one questions that.
No one pays attention if there is one in their Rolleiflex or not.
Perceptions aside the reality of the situation is although a meter in a
camera is nice working with a hand held meter is delightful and fast.
And as Mr. Lowi pointed out yesterday as his repair guy said. There no
reason why these cameras cant just go on working. They are maintainable
and fixable when they break or when something wears out which i not often.

Leica's are ongoing usable classics.

By the way i turn 51 tomorrow. I'm not ready for the trash heap either.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: M6TTL vs "Classic" question)