Subject: Re: [Leica] Delta 3200 & Neopan 1600 pushed...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:20:59 -0800

John Straus wrote:

> on 1/15/02 2:06 AM, Nathan Wajsman at wajsman@webshuttle.ch wrote:
>
> > If you need to shoot the D3200 at 3200, then you have to develop for the
> > times listed under 6400. The true speed of this film is nowhere near 3200
> > (same thing for Kodak's T-Max 3200). I second the recommendation to shoot
> > it at 1600 and develop in Ilfotec DD-X or XTOL using the times for 3200
> > listed in the data sheet (at least as a starting point).
>
> I just shot a roll of Neopan 1600 pushed to 3200. The negs cam out thin or
> should I say lacking in the mids, highlights were ok. Exposure should have
> been a-ok double checked with a handheld meter. Shot a roll of color print
> pushed a few weeks earlier which cam out more even.
>
> So that leaves me to my development time. Xtol 1:1 8.5 min @ 68 deg. Looks
> like they could have at least gone a stop more... Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> --
> John
> Chicago, IL
> http://SlideOne.com

When "pushing" first look to your shadows. The thin areas of the neg.
If they are clear instead of thin then you don't have any shadow detail
and you haven't really "pushed" your film
you've just under exposed it. But check by printing.

Pushing mainly works with certain developers. The T Max developer, or
Acufine the main ones i know.
With most other developers you can develop till your highlights build up
enough density to print on a normal contrast paper but a brunette will
still have clear hair.
No strands. You've underexposed.

You have to decide if you can just say good-by to shadow detail or not.

I never could.

Xtol gives full film speed and not much more.
It's the first developer on the books in years of EVER in which Kodak
touted it's extra speed.
But I've never seen it. It's not slower though like other "miracle" developers.
For me all speeds have been the ones marked on the box.
Except delta 3200 which i get 1200 from.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com